From the Carroll County EMA:
The National Weather Service (NWS) held a Special Weather Briefing today in reference to the unseasonably cold weather forecast for this weekend into early next week.
- There is High Confidence that we will see Unseasonably Cold temperatures for all of East Alabama and North Georgia by Friday Morning, 12/23.
- Temperatures expected to be 20-35F degrees below normal
- Coldest air in 5-8 years (Jan 2015 / 2018) for our area
- Strong wind gusts 25-35 mph will result in critically cold wind chill values below zero expected for 24+ hours
- A Wind Chill WATCH will likely be converted to an Advisory or Warning today with impacts beginning after midnight, Thursday night through Saturday
- Prolonged period (72 hours) of sub-freezing temperatures expected through Monday
- Quick shot of wintry precipitation mainly northeast Alabama and northwest and far north GA late Thursday night into Friday morning
- Rain is expected to quickly change to snow before ending
- Our area is included in the area that could see rain change to snow with a trace to ½ inch accumulation possible
- Any accumulations expected to be less than 1 inch at this time
- Watch for patchy black ice/flash freeze as colder air moves in throughout our area