PEACHTREE CITY – Multiple weather hazards are expected across north and central Alabama and Georgia tonight through Saturday night. Showers and thunderstorms are expected across central Alabama and Georgia along a warm front approaching from the Gulf Coast this afternoon/evening. In addition, a cold front approaching from the west will also impact north and central Alabama and Georgia tonight/Saturday that will bring a variety of hazardous weather threats including isolated thunderstorms, the potential for winter precipitation, gusty winds, and freezing temperatures through Sunday morning. Below is an outline of what to expect.
- Showers and thunderstorms will develop and overspread the area by this evening with locally heavy rain and gusty winds expected.
- Mainly after midnight tonight — Strong to severe thunderstorms anywhere along and south of I-85. Primary threats with any storms:
- Damaging wind gusts (primary threat)
- Heavy rainfall that could lead to localized flooding concerns, especially in low-lying areas and in areas with poor drainage
Saturday’s weather: *hazardous weather threats are expected on Saturday through Saturday night*
- A line of showers and potentially strong to severe storms should be rapidly exiting our far southeast counties with the risk for any severe weather done by 9AM.
- Rain will quickly mix with/change to snow with accumulations possible generally northwest of a line from Carroll -> Cherokee -> Towns Counties
- Rain/snow mix possible starting around 3am in the furthest NW counties through 5am in furthest NE counties.
- Snow flurries may linger through Saturday afternoon
- Accumulations of 1-2″ expected across NW GA, decreasing to trace to 1″ amounts for the rest of the Winter Weather Advisory area
- Frigid temperatures Saturday morning and again overnight Saturday/Sunday morning
- Temperatures drop into low 20s to low 30s over portions of north and west Georgia Saturday morning
- Temperatures drop to the high teens to low 20’s Sunday morning
- A hard freeze is likely Saturday night/Sunday morning for all of north and central Georgia
- Strong/Gusty winds will occur early Saturday morning through the evening hours
- Sustained winds of 20-30 mph with gusts 30-45 mph at times