The National Weather Service (NWS) held a Special Weather Briefing today in reference to the potential for Severe Weather for tomorrow and overnight tomorrow night.
- The higher risk area for this system is central Alabama and central Georgia. Specifically the Randolph County Alabama area and areas to the south of Carroll County in Georgia are within the Enhanced Risk (Level 3 out of 5) and the Carroll and Haralson County area is within the Slight Risk (Level 2 out of 5) for Severe Weather with this system. Along and south of I-20 is the areas of greatest severe risk.
- The main impacts are:
- Damaging Winds
- Heavy Rain (localized flooding possible)
- The areas in East Central Alabama and just south of Carroll County in Georgia are in areas identified by the NWS as a chance for Severe Wind Gusts (75+ mph) and long track tornadoes. Please remain alert Sunday and Sunday night throughout the area for the potential for severe wind gusts and tornadoes.
- Three rounds of thunderstorms are possible. The first round between 12:00 noon and 1400 hours Sunday which is not expected to produce severe storms but could be thunderstorms with strong gusty winds. The second round between 1600 hours and 2000 hours Sunday afternoon and evening could produce supercell thunderstorms based on the location of the warm front. The warm front over Georgia and Alabama Sunday will dictate the risks for the area. North of the front, the greatest risk is for flooding. South of the front the risk is strong winds, tornadoes, flooding and hail.
- The third round will be a line of thunderstorms overnight Sunday night and could produce severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes.
- Expected rainfall with this system for our area is 2.5 3 inches and our area is in a moderate risk for flash flooding Sunday night. A Flash Flood Watch has been issued for our area through Monday morning at 0800 hours.
Confidence is increasing with the forecast for this system but the system is not forecast to be as strong as the system Easter.
Please see the attached slides for additional graphical information and please monitor the weather Sunday and overnight.
CLICK LINK BELOW TO VIEW SLIDES
On May 22, 2022, Carroll County Deputies responded to a 911 call advising there was an elderly female deceased at