On the November 3, 2020 ballot, the school system will be asking voters to consider two questions:
- Haralson ESPLOST (Education Special Local Option Sales Tax) To continue a one cent on the dollar sales tax, paid by all people, including visitors, who shop in Haralson County. This is NOT an additional tax and is asking permission to just continue whats already been in place since 1997.
- City of Bremen General Obligation Bonds (10 Year) Permission to sell bonds (up to 10 million) to replace BHS wings that were built in 1949 and 1952. In addition, 2 million dollars would be secured from the state through the Ga DOE facilities program. This money does not have to be paid back.
Since 1997, the City of Bremen voters have overwhelmingly supported the schools, and this form of revenue allows sales tax, paid by everyone, to fund needs as opposed to having to ask property owners to do so.
We anticipate the work to cost between 12 and 13 million to complete. The funds mentioned above, along with accumulated ESPLOST proceeds in the current cycle, would be applied toward paying for the replacement.
If all goes well with the votes and the market (construction & bonds) is conducive to do so, we would move forward with selling bonds and having a bid day early spring 2021 or so. Construction would begin shortly thereafter.
After the current 5 year ESPLOST cycle is complete, we will owe bonds for the BHS gymnasium (one more cycle needed), and if approved, the BHS replacement work (two cycles needed = 10 years). The following capital projects are completely paid for:
- BHS Commons/Annex
- BHS Media Center
- BHS Cafeteria Renovation
- Hamilton-McPherson Fine Arts Center
- JES K-1 Building/Renovations and 2-3 Building/Renovations
- BHS Stadium Renovation
- Bremen Academy/Bremen Middle School (Paid Off at End of Current Cycle)
- Blue Devil Family Park
- 506 and 510 Laurel Street Homes (Parking Added as Part of BHS Replacement if Approved)
Please click here to watch a video that contains the preliminary design of the BHS replacement construction.
Please click here for a FAQ sheet that provides more information.
I realize so much of this can be confusing so if anyone has questions or concerns, please give me the opportunity to talk with you. We also are happy to come present to any community group or organization.
We dont take such high levels of community support for granted, and we want to be as transparent as possible so again, please dont hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770-537-5508.