The Power of the Purse, a women’s giving circle sponsored by the Community Foundation of West Georgia, has issued grants totaling $15,950 to 10 local nonprofit organizations.
The grants were issued to:
- Carroll County CASA for volunteer recruitment, awareness, & training programs;
- Carroll County Council on Aging for Remembering Me Through Art: classes to combat depression among the elderly;
- Coweta County CASA for volunteer recruitment, awareness, & training programs in Heard County;
- Ferst Readers of Carroll County for books for pre-school children;
- Heard County Community Partnership for Baby Braves program;
- Impact International/Impact West Georgia for little free library in Griffin Homes and materials for early literacy initiative;
- Partners Advancing Students’ Success (PASS) for undergarments & hygiene items for female students;
- Rapha Clinic of West Georgia for cancer screenings and dentures;
- Temple Senior Center for female hygiene items;
- West Georgia Technical College Foundation for Project CARE: emergency assistance to female students.
A total of $126,406 in grants has been issued by the Power of the Purse since 2009 to nonprofit organizations supporting women’s and children’s initiatives in Carroll, Haralson and Heard counties.
Power of the Purse offers donors the opportunity to join others in donating funds and then deciding where the money will be used in support of women’s and children’s initiatives. Anyone can be a member with an annual pledge of $100. In addition to membership pledges, the Power of the Purse Fund raises money by sponsoring an event annually such as plays featuring local actors and shows featuring celebrities like Jeanne Robertson. These events are designed to be fun for members and participants in addition to raising funds. A focus group of fund members considers possible initiatives of unmet needs of women and children in the community each year.
For more information about joining the Power of the Purse, visit www.cfwg.net/powerofthepurse/ or contact Community Foundation President Kim Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or (770) 832-1462.